Wednesday, June 27, 2007

magical farts

On a particularly rough day I finally had the class quiet after our 3rd attempt at lining up for music. Every time we talked in line we'd had to sit back down. They sat on the carpet silently, and seemed almost ready. Just as I was about to open my mouth to direct the kids to "try again" my smart cookie let out a 3-tiered fart. It started short and loud, then was long and low, and ended with a high eighth-note.

I had no idea that was possible. none. is this some skill everyone has but me? the ability to not only fart on demand but control them enough to make noises? I've heard of burping the alphabet, but farting musically? It's depth wasn't an accident either. She moved her body to gain control.

Needless to say we didn't make it to music on time that day.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Reading this made my morning! I don't think I would have handled this situation well at all. I can't wait until that little gets to fifth grade. It'll make life interesting.

Rachel Boyd said...

Oh my goodness that is funny!

I would have been absolutely cracking up inside; yet vigorously trying to maintain my stony "no nonsense" exterior!

Farting on demand?? Maybe your wee gem just had it "stored safely away" until it was most needed ;)

Suzanne G. said...

I laughed out loud. I am a music teacher, the kind of recipient of your very excited class. Not only that, I am a French Horn player and have excellent abdominal control.

Yes, you can fart on command if you have excellent control of your muscles. You can also temper volume, duration, timbre, and inflection. It's not a gift, it's a skill! Your student has practiced.

Have a great summer.

organized chaos said...

herding cats, who knew?? Perhaps I should suggest music lessons to her family!