Wednesday, February 27, 2008

oops

i may have ended the evening at what i'm sure was a very nice dinner event with my husband at fairly right-leaning organization. they stupidly did that fancy host-planning of splitting up the spouses at dinner, which turned out to be a bad idea on their part.

me, armed with red wine and no husband to kick me under the table is not a good combo when i am seated beside someone who works at an education reform think tank and believes nclb is a GOOD idea.

i knew i was in trouble when i tried to ask questions about the gentleman's opinions and he said, "You're going to tell me that you work for a school, aren't you?"

there may have been table banging (from me). i may have insinuated that teach for america is racist, and i may have interrupted very nice people mid-sentence to correct their facts. i have almost no recollection of the actual food, although i know i ate it. i know there was creme brulee for dessert, and it disappeared off my plate while i made points about testing and accountability.

more highlights later, as i am tired since i am actually a teacher and have to get up early to work with the kiddos. my favorite statement was "Come on, nclb only requires testing once a year. why does everyone spend so much time teaching to the test?"
That might have caused me to explode and say some not nice things.
oops.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I don't know how you do it, but you always manage to make me wish I was at these events!

Tell them my 5th graders spend 5% of their school days taking standardized tests.

Anonymous said...

He may work for a think tank, but he's not a professional. A professional would realize that, for some reason unknown to him, the majority of the industry he's studying has a directly opposite point of view on this key issue. He's bragging about not understanding and making no attempt to actually understand. He's not trying to help the industry improve, or help other people improve, he's just trying to defend himself. A professional would always seek opportunities to grok the whole situation...that particular NCLB advocate sounds like a fraud. I'm being harsh, but that's really how it sounds.